- Custom design specific for use with weather balloon camera kits
- 0.5 lb to 100 lb payload capacity (larger weight results in higher descent rate)
- Optimized for high Mach # reentry and opening at peak altitude
- Designed to yield /min (15 mph, 8 m/s) descent rate for a 4 lb payload at sea level
- Made in the USA from ripstop nylon and military spec paracord, includes 2 quick release carabiners
After many experimental trials with high altitude weather balloon payloads, Aether Industries has arrived at an optimized design for this recovery parachute. It allows for a stable parachute deployment at approximately Mach 1 when the balloon initially bursts in the vacuum of near-space. The diameter parachute is designed to yield a descent rate of /min (15 mph, 8 m/s) once back into the thicker atmosphere near sea level. The custom designed connection at the top of the parachute provides easy in-line attachment to weather balloon assemblies and rocket nose cone trains. The bright orange and white pattern gives a high contrast for greater visibility during flight and recovery phases. Each 36” parachute is individually handmade in the USA. It uses a 6 sided design with /sq yd (70 Denier) ripstop nylon. In addition, it has a silicone coating which makes the chute waterproof on either side and lighter overall than the standard polyurethane coated chutes.